REGISTRATION FOR 2020-2021 RELIGIOUS EDUCATION CLASSES AT ASCENSION
Our Religious Education program is open to all children of the parish, from kindergarten to eighth grade (This year, in consideration of the nature of online learning and taking into account the ages of the children who can benefit from this type of learning, we will not be offering kindergarten classes; online classes will be offered to grades 1-8 only). We offer two-year Sacrament Preparation classes for First Penance/First Communion and Confirmation. As we minister to our Ascension families, it is the mission of the Religious Education program to support and assist parents in the formation of their children in their Catholic Faith along with striving to instill an abiding love of God and neighbor.
This year, Ascension will provide Religious Education classes in a 100% online format for children in grades 1 through 8 beginning on September 21, 2020 until Christmas break; at that time, we will re-evaluate pandemic conditions and determine the nature of classes in the spring. The calendar is in the process of being completed and will be emailed to all registered families, and posted online, as soon as it is finalized.
WHO DOES OUR PROGRAM SERVE?
1. Public/Private Non-Catholic School Students: Our weekly CCD classes serve students attending public school and non-Catholic private school in grades K-8. Both First Holy Communion and Confirmation require two years of sacramental preparation, so please plan accordingly. Communion: 1st and 2nd grades. Confirmation: 7th and 8th grades.
2. Catholic School Students: Students attending St. Pius X Regional School or another Catholic school receive religious formation training for each grade, K-8, within the programs of their school and therefore do not need to attend CCD classes EXCEPT in 8th grade (this second year of Confirmation preparation classes at Ascension is required for ALL children of the parish, whether they attend public school, Catholic school or are homeschooled).
3. Homeschoolers: Families with students attending full-time homeschooling classes must submit a registration form in the sacramental years. For homeschooled children in second grade preparing to receive First Penance and First Communion, their attendance is mandatory at four sacramental prep sessions that will be scheduled throughout the year (calendar will be finalized soon). For homeschooled students in eighth grade preparing to receive Confirmation, their attendance is mandatory at all Religious Education classes (this second year of Confirmation preparation classes at Ascension is required for ALL students of the parish).
4. RCIC Candidates: We also welcome students into our RCIC program! RCIC (Rite of Christian Initiation for Children) is a program for children ages 8 to 14 who have completed second grade and who have not been baptized or who are baptized in another Christian denomination, or who are baptized in the Catholic faith but were never prepared for Reconciliation or Eucharist. The program provides a comprehensive review of the essentials and key teachings of the Catholic faith and prepares the children for these sacraments.
- $45 per student in grades 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- $75 per student in grades 2 and 8 (and RCIC students who need to complete sacramental preparation)
- $30 for homeschoolers/Catholic school students in 2nd grade (First Penance/First Communion sacramental prep year)
* If needed, tuition assistance is available. Please contact Maria Centeno at the parish office.
** Tuition fees are waived for children of our volunteer catechists and assistants. If you would like to serve in this capacity, please notate the registration form accordingly. All adult volunteers must complete the child protection training and background check mandated by the Archdiocese of Washington.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO REGISTER:
2. Pay tuition fees through Faith Direct HERE, or pay by check made payable to Ascension Catholic Church and mailed to the parish office.
3. Download, read and return a signed copy of the 2020-2021 INFORMATION PACKET (this can either be signed, scanned and returned via email to [email protected], or it can be mailed to the parish office).
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Maria Centeno, DRE, at (301) 262-2227 ext. 5 or via email at [email protected]